Trump About To Make A Deal With Boeing To Get A Cheaper Air Force One
President-elect Donald Trump will meet with Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg Tuesday to discuss the cost of replacing Air Force One, Bloomberg News reports.
This will be the second meeting between Trump and Muilenburg as president-elect, and comes just over a month after Trump criticized the plans to replace the aging fleet of Boeing 747s on Twitter, declaring “cancel order.” (RELATED: Trump Tweets: ‘Cancel Order’ For $4 Billion Air Force One Plane)
Boeing is building a brand new 747 Air Force One for future presidents, but costs are out of control, more than $4 billion. Cancel order!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 6, 2016
“The plane is totally out of control,” Trump told reporters in the lobby of Trump Tower Dec. 6. Calling the cost “ridiculous,” Trump said he thinks “Boeing is doing a little bit of a number” on taxpayers. “We want Boeing to make a lot of money, but not that much money,” Trump said.
Boeing is currently under a $170 million contract with the Air Force for initial stages of the Air Force One replacement, which would not be complete until at least 2024. Muilenburg met with Trump just before Christmas and gave the president-elect his “personal commitment on behalf of the Boeing Company” that costs would be controlled.
“We’re going to get it done for less than that, and we’re committed to working together to make sure that happens,” Muilenburg said to reporters after meeting with Trump in Mar-a-Lago, Fl., Dec. 21.
Trump has already shown an interest in renegotiating high-value defense contracts. Trump met with Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson earlier in January to discuss ways to bring down future costs on an over-budget program.
“We are close to a deal that will bring the cost down significantly from the previous lot of aircraft to the next lot of aircraft and moreover it’s going to bring a lot of jobs to the United States,” Hewson told reporters after the meeting Friday afternoon.
Send tips to email@example.com.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.