Muslim Students At UCLA Hold ‘Healing Space’ After Trump’s Refugee Ban

(Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

Jason Chulack Reporting Intern

Law students and community members stood shoulder to shoulder during a candlelight vigil at UCLA’s School of Law courtyard on Monday in response to President Trump’s refugee ban, according to the Daily Bruin.

The Muslim Law Students Association at UCLA organized the gathering to create what the campus newspaper is calling a “healing space.” It was intended to support students and campus members who may have been affected by the recent executive order, either directly or indirectly.

Students at the gathering opened up with a moment of silence and then proceeded to share their personal stories of discrimination and offered support to those who have been affected by Trump’s executive order.

“The past week has been particularly difficult for us, especially those who are directly impacted and bearing the brunt of the recent executive orders” the association said in an email sent to law school students.

Chancellor Gene Block says about 150 UCLA students have been directly affected by President Trump’s executive order, according to the Daily Bruin.

Law student Sahar Khorramnezhad told the Daily Bruin, “I feel like I’m that 9-year-old girl again and I just can’t understand why this country hates me so much” as she recalled her memories from September 11th, 2001.

An email sent to the Muslim Law Students Association by The Daily Caller went unreturned.