Mexico’s foreign ministry is urging Mexican nationals living in the United States to “take precautions” amid expectations that the Trump administration will begin deporting more illegal aliens.
In a statement, the ministry of foreign affairs cited Thursday’s deportation of Guadlupe Garcia de Rayos, a 35-year-old illegal alien who lived in Phoenix.
“The case of Mrs. Garcia de Rayos illustrates the new reality that the Mexican community lives in the United States before the most severe application of immigration control measures,” reads a translated version of the foreign ministry’s statement.
“For this reason, the entire Mexican community is invited to take precautions and to keep in touch with its nearest consulate, to obtain the necessary assistance to face a situation of this type.”
Garcia de Rayos, a married mother of two, was arrested at her workplace in 2008 during a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) raid. She was convicted of a felony for using a fake Social Security number.
As part of an arrangement with ICE during the Obama administration, Garcia de Rayos was allowed to stay in the U.S., but with the condition that she had to show up to a local immigration office for scheduled visits.
She was arrested on Wednesday during one such visit. But instead of being released, as had been the case on her previous eight visits, she was deported.
The Mexican government says that it expects more cases similar to Garcia de Rayos’.
Its statement says that Mexican consulates “have stepped up their work to protect nationals by anticipating the hardening of immigration measures.”
The Mexican consulate in Nogales, Ariz. oversaw Garcia de Rayos’ deportation to ensure that it was conducted in “a dignified and safe manner.”
“It is important that clients familiarize themselves with the different scenarios they may face and know where to go to receive updated guidance and know all their rights,” the foreign ministry suggested.