Georgetown’s ‘Non-Partisan’ Lecture Fund Spends Three Times As Much On Liberal Speakers

Shutterstock/Top Vector Studio

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Rob Shimshock Education Reporter

A “non-partisan” lecture fund at Georgetown University has given more than three times as much money to host liberal speakers as it has to their conservative counterparts.

The Georgetown Review, a student newspaper at the university, analyzed the Georgetown University Lecture Fund, a “non-partisan student run organization,” and found that Georgetown has paid three times as many liberals as conservatives to speak, according to Campus Reform.

The newspaper calculated the percentages based on speakers hosted during the last four years, 2013-2017.

59 percent and 12 percent of the partisan speakers hired were liberal and left-leaning, respectively, while 16 percent and 2 percent of the politically-charged lecturers were conservative or right-leaning. The Georgetown Review judged the remaining 12 percent to be political moderates. But the Lecture Fund has also hosted slightly more apolitical speakers than liberals.

Georgetown’s preference for liberal speakers mirrors the money spent by its faculty on political candidates. Representatives of the school donated $604,358 to Democrats, compared with only $36,762 to Republicans during the 2016 election season, according to OpenSecrets.org. This amounts to Republicans receiving 6 percent of political donations for that cycle.

Republicans fare slightly better when accounting for all election cycles from 1990 to 2016 at Georgetown. In these elections, they receive 14% of political donations, $450,220, which is still a fraction of the $2,713,683 obtained by Democrat candidates.

Follow Rob Shimshock on Twitter

Connect with Rob Shimshock on Facebook

Send tips to rob@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.