Officials with the nonprofit government watchdog Cause of Action Institute said Monday they have filed a lawsuit to force the public release of more information about grand jury subpoenas related to former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s BlackBerry email accounts.
The group is also suing Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and U.S. Archivist David Ferriero seeking to force them to comply with the Federal Records Act by requesting the Attorney General to recover Clinton’s email records removed from the State Department. (RELATED: Report: Federal Grand Jury Issued Subpoenas In Hillary Clinton Email Case)
“None of the information provided by the government establishes that the federal records at issue do not exist or cannot be recovered,” Cause of Action President and CEO John Vecchione said in a statement. “The government presented fundamentally the same arguments the Court of Appeals already rejected last year.”
Tillerson and Ferriero refuse to recover Clinton’s emails despite the Court of Appeal’s December 2016 ruling in favor of Cause of Action Institute. (RELATED: Trump Could Tear Down Obama’s FOIA Secrecy. Here’s Why He Probably Won’t.)
The government’s motion to dismiss the case revealed grand jury subpoenas related to Clinton’s BlackBerry email accounts.
“The subpoenas confirm that the FBI investigation of Secretary Clinton was criminal in nature, but details about the scope of the subpoenas remains unknown,” Cause of Action Institute’s statement said.
“The government failed to introduce any evidence to show that the results of those subpoenas establish that Secretary Clinton’s BlackBerry emails are not recoverable through forensic means.”
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.