National Security

Report: Manchester Bomber Was Previously Known To Authorities

Dave Thompson/Getty Images

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Russ Read Pentagon/Foreign Policy Reporter

Salmon Ramadan Abedi, the man believed to be responsible for Monday’s Manchester Arena bombing, was reportedly known to authorities, according to CBS news.

British officials have yet to publicly name Abedi, but a U.S. official briefed by British authorities identified him to NBC News. The suspect’s name may be spelled differently, the report noted.

The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack Tuesday, though Abedi’s relationship to the group and details regarding his background remain unclear. The terror group said a “caliphate soldier managed to place a number of devices among a gathering of crusaders in Manchester, and detonated them.”

Two explosions killed 22 and injured approximately 50 others as concert goers were leaving an Ariana Grande concert Monday night. Many of the victims are believed to be young girls. The explosions reportedly sent nails, ball bearings and other shrapnel flying into the crowd.

British Prime Minister Theresa May said authorities are determining whether the perpetrator “was acting alone, or was part of a wider group.” Police have arrested one man in connection with the attack, though his exact involvement remains unknown.

Follow Russ Read on Twitter

Send tips to russ@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.