World

Mattis Takes Rare Swipe At Obama

(DOD photo by U.S. Army Sgt. Amber I. Smith)

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Saagar Enjeti White House Correspondent

Secretary of Defense James Mattis issued rare criticism of former President Barack Obama and his national security team in an interview with a Washington State high school newspaper.

Mattis characterized the Trump administration as more of a “variation on a theme” than a “dramatically different” approach from the former administration.

“He [Obama] unfortunately didn’t always have the best advisors or he didn’t listen to his Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, so we missed some opportunities there,” Mattis said of his former boss.

Mattis praised former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s handling of the Islamic Republic of Iran throughout the interview, saying, “What you have to do eventually is what then Secretary of State Hillary Clinton did, which was to move sanctions, economic sanctions, against them and force them to the negotiating table because they want to stay in power.”

The defense secretary was reportedly forced to retire five months early as commander of U.S. Central Command in 2013 by the Obama administration for being too hawkish on Iran. Mattis did not oppose the deal itself, but instead asked provocative questions about the long-term impact of the deal. He again highlighted in the interview that he believes “Iran is certainly the most destabilizing influence in the Middle East.”

Mattis noted in his January confirmation hearing before the U.S. Senate that he would not have signed the Iranian nuclear deal, calling it an “imperfect arms control agreement.” Nevertheless, “we have to live up to it,” he advised.

Follow Saagar Enjeti on Twitter

Send tips to saagar@dailycallernewsfoundation.org

All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.