Soros-Backed Activists Plan To Steal Trump’s Show In Phoenix
Leading anti-Trump activists backed by major Democratic donors including George Soros are mobilizing large numbers of protesters ahead of President Trump’s rally in Phoenix on Tuesday, with the intention of stealing the spotlight from the president’s event.
Local leaders of Indivisible, one of many “resistance” protest groups formed as a direct response to Trump’s election, are organizing thousands of protesters associated with a coalition of left-wing groups ahead of Tuesday’s event. In addition to organizing mass protests outside the rally, Indivisible is encouraging protesters to register for tickets for the rally itself, increasing the likelihood that protesters will disrupt Trump’s speech, as often happens at Trump’s rallies.
Although originally founded by activists not backed by donors, Indivisible’s website now states that the group “is a project of the Advocacy Fund,” a progressive advocacy group that receives money from the Open Society Policy Center, an arm of Soros’ Open Society Foundations. That revelation follows USA Today’s reporting in May that leaders of Indivisible and Women’s March met with Democracy Alliance, a Soros-led network of left-wing donors, to discuss funding options.
Left-wing activists have organized four events against Trump on Tuesday, culminating in one massive protest at the rally. That protest will be “lead by every organization and individual that does not support President Trump,” according to Indivisible’s Phoenix branch.
Thousands of protesters are expected at Trump’s rally, which comes amid an already tense political climate following violent clashes in Phoenix and Boston. (RELATED: Pee-Filled Projectiles A Recurring Weapon Of Choice For ‘Anti-Fascists’)
Phoenix Police Chief Jerri Williams said earlier this week that police will be at “maximum staffing during the visit.”
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton criticized Trump for holding the rally in the wake of deadly violence at a white nationalist in Charlottesville, Va., last week.
“I am disappointed that President Trump has chosen to hold a campaign rally as our nation is still healing from the tragic events in Charlottesville,” Stanton, a Democrat, said in a statement last week.