Politics

Trump Administration Will Continue Funding Planned Parenthood

REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Grace Carr Reporter

President Donald Trump promised throughout his campaign that he would end federal dollars going to Planned Parenthood when he took office, but those funds will continue until at least Dec. 8.

Trump told pro-life leaders that he was “committed to … Defunding Planned Parenthood as long as they continue to perform abortions, and re-allocating their funding to community health centers that provide comprehensive health for women,” according to Townhall. But the president signed a continuing resolution on Friday that will ensure funding to the abortion organization until Fiscal Year 2018.

Trump originally signed a bill to continue the allocation of federal funds — H.J. Res. 99 — on April 28 and followed with H.R. 244, the Consolidated Appropriations Act, on May 5 that funded the government through Sept. 30, the end of FY 2017.

The Friday deal permits the federal government to continue spending what it had been under the Consolidated Appropriations Act. It was part of an effort to provide close to $15.5 billion to aid those affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma according to CNS News. The resolution also raises the debt ceiling until Dec. 8 in order to remove barriers on spending.

The Trump administration did, however, stop all funding to abortion providers via Medicaid and Title X programs. Trump’s Office of Management and Budget also released a fact sheet that claims the president will follow through on his campaign rhetoric in the upcoming budget. “The Budget also follows through on a campaign promise and prohibits any funding in the Labor-HHS appropriations bill for certain entities that provide abortions, including Planned Parenthood. This prohibition applies to all funds in the bill, including Medicaid,” the overview says.

So while federal dollars will continue funding Planned Parenthood, the amount of those dollars going to abortion providers has been reduced.

Follow Grace on Twitter

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.