A climate change study is moving forward that some federal scientists and media outlets worried the Trump administration would suppress because it contradicted their agenda.
A scientist involved in the Climate Science Special Report told E&E News Monday that the climate assessment is set to be rolled out on schedule in November. The report is part of the Fourth National Climate Assessment that’s set for release in late 2018.
The news comes more than a month after The New York Times published a supposedly leaked draft of the climate report online, which was provided by scientists who “were concerned that it would be suppressed.”
TheNYT was eventually forced to correct its report, admitting that the report it published had been available online for months. TheNYT eventually published a non-public draft of the study, but scientists who worked on it said it was not substantially different than the previous one.
“An article on Tuesday about a sweeping federal climate change report referred incorrectly to the availability of the report,” TheNYT wrote in its correction.
“While it was not widely publicized, the report was uploaded by the nonprofit Internet Archive in January; it was not first made public by The New York Times,” the correction noted.
Scientists came out of the woodwork to tell reporters there’d been no evidence of suppression.
Four unnamed co-authors of the draft climate report told the Associated Press that they “have not heard of or witnessed any attempt by the White House to suppress or censor the scientific document.”
“It was under the radar and we were fine about that,” a scientist told the AP.
The White House was also quick to jump on TheNYT for its reporting.
“It’s very disappointing, yet entirely predictable to learn The New York Times would write off a draft report without first verifying its contents with the White House or any of the federal agencies directly involved with climate and environmental policy,” a White House official told The Daily Caller News Foundation in August.
“As others have pointed out – and The New York Times should have noticed – drafts of this report have been published and made widely available online months ago during the public comment period,” the official said. “The White House will withhold comment on any draft report before its scheduled release date.”
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact email@example.com.