Massachusetts will remove its only Confederate memorial following Columbus Day weekend, the state announced Monday.
The headstone honoring 13 Confederate soldiers sits on Georges Island near Boston, reported The Boston Globe. The state previously boarded up the memorial in June, as pictured below. The now-defunct Boston arm of the United Daughters of the Confederacy installed the memorial in 1963.
— The Boston Globe (@BostonGlobe) August 17, 2017
A spokeswoman for the Massachusetts secretary of state said in an email obtained by The Boston Globe that officials plan to remove the memorial after Columbus Day, when the park is closed. They will take the memorial to the State Archives for storage until it can be returned to the people who installed it. The memorial will not be on display.
The state is considering returning the memorial to the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker called for the monument to be taken down in June, calling it and other Confederate memorials “symbols . . . that do not support liberty and equality for the people of Massachusetts.” (RELATED: New Orleans Uproots Third Confederate Statue In Early Morning Operation)
Sean Hennessey, a National Park Service spokesman, did not give The Boston Globe an exact date for the removal, but said it would be removed in October.
O’Malley told The Daily Caller News Foundation the decision to remove the memorial was made by the Baker administration.
Send tips to email@example.com.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.