An attacker threw a bomb at the U.S. embassy in Montenegro before blowing himself up with a similar device, police said Thursday.
The bomb exploded inside an embassy compound yard, leaving a crater but damaging no part of the building. No embassy staffers were injured in the blast, according to U.S. officials.
The attacker has been identified as 43-year-old Dalibor Jaukovic, according to Associated Press (citing local-police officials). Ex-soldier Jaukovic served under former Serbian strongman Slobodan Milosevic during the NATO bombing campaign against Serbia and Montenegro in 1999.
Montenegro is a tiny country on the Adriatic Sea in Southeastern Europe. It was admitted to NATO last year despite objections from Russia — its traditional Slavic ally.
Many Montenegrans resent their country’s membership in NATO because the Western alliance fought against the Adriatic country in the Kosovo War when it was part of former Yugoslavia. Montenegro became an independent state in 2006 when it split with Serbia after the last Yugoslav countries broke up in the wake of the Kosovo War.
Jaukovic was born in the central Serbian town of Kraljevo but lived in Montenegro’s capital, Podgorica, according to the AP.
In a photo on his Facebook profile, Jaukovic displays a plaque honoring his contribution to the fight against NATO that appears to have Milosevic’s personal signature.
In a May 2017 post, Jaukavic said, “no to NATO.”
Send tips to email@example.com.
The Daily Caller News Foundation is working hard to balance out the biased American media. For as little as $3, you can help us. Make a one-time donation to support the quality, independent journalism of TheDCNF. We’re not dependent on commercial or political support and we do not accept any government funding.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.