World

Cannes Film Festival Bans Selfies After Deeming Them ‘Grotesque’

REUTERS/Regis Duvignau

Daily Caller News Foundation logo

The Cannes Film Festival in France banned selfies after a top festival official referred to them as “grotesque,” the Daily Mail reported Wednesday.

Guests will no longer be allowed to take selfies on the red carpet at the renowned film festival in 2018 after Cannes General Delegate Thierry Fremaux annouced the decision. Elite guests would previously take selfies on the steps of the red carpet at the luxurious French villa.

“It’s not beautiful. It’s grotesque. It’s ridiculous …. We want to restore a bit of decency,” Fremaux said. The film festival official also said that anyone who is caught taking a selfie will not be allowed to enter the red carpet, he told Europe-1 radio, CBS News reported.

“On the red carpet, the trivial aspect and the slowing down provoked by the disorder which these selfies create tarnishes the quality of [the red carpet experience] and of the festival as a whole,” Fremaux said. (RELATED: Over Half Of Nose-Job Patients Do It For Selfies)

The 2018 film festival will be held May 8 to 19.

Follow Gabrielle on Twitter
Send tips to gabrielle@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.