CNN correspondent Leyla Santiago said Friday that the remaining Central American migrant caravan heading towards the United States “takes issue” with being seen as dangerous by President Trump.
“Listen, there are actually still people from that caravan coming this morning. I’ve seen about 20 people. And most of them are families. It’s interesting because I talked to one woman, and I said President Trump says this caravan is dangerous. And she said I am armed with my children,” Santiago said on “CNN Newsroom With John Berman and Poppy Harlow.”
She also said, “Yes, they are dealing with poverty. But even more so, they’re talking about the violence that they are facing.”
“The woman I spoke to said that her family members had been killed because gang violence is such a problem in the neighborhood she is in, or she was in rather, in El Salvador. So, this is a caravan continues, albeit in smaller numbers, and takes issue with being labeled as dangerous or not qualified for someone who needs to seek asylum, given the violence that they say they are fleeing.”