Eagles Don’t Mention The President In Team’s Statement About Disinvitation
The Philadelphia Eagles issued a statement Monday night following President Trump’s revocation of his invitation to the White House.
— Philadelphia Eagles (@Eagles) June 5, 2018
“It has been incredibly thrilling to celebrate our first Super Bowl championship,” the Eagles statement said. “Watching the entire Eagles community come together has been an inspiration. We are truly grateful for all of the support we have received and we are looking forward to continuing our preparations for the 2018 season.”
The White House’s statement canceling the event said, “They disagree with their President because he insists that they proudly stand for the National Anthem, hand on heart, in honor of the great men and women of our military and the people of our country. The Eagles wanted to send a smaller delegation, but the 1,000 fans planning to attend the event deserve better.”
Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins, defensive end Chris Long and Panthers wide receiver Torrey Smith had all previously said they weren’t planning on attending. (RELATED: HERE ARE THE EAGLES PLAYERS ALREADY PLANNING TO SKIP WHITE HOUSE VISIT)
The White House will instead be holding a “different type of ceremony — one that will honor our great country, pay tribute to the heroes who fight to protect it, and loudly and proudly play the National Anthem.”