Journalists have apparently already given up on their pledge to support fellow reporters, attacking The Daily Caller’s White House correspondent after President Donald Trump gave him a question at Monday’s joint press conference.
TheDC’s Saagar Enjeti asked President Trump during a joint presser with the Italian prime minister about his threats to shut down the government over border wall funding.
It’s unclear how Enjeti’s question could be considered biased or “friendly” to the president, but that didn’t stop establishment media reporters from attacking the fact that TheDC got a question at all.
Ken Dilanian of NBC News accused TheDC of being “Trump’s pet media,” while Shareblue’s Oliver Willis claimed that Enjeti asked “lifeline softball questions.”
What was I saying earlier about Trump’s pet media. He actually called on the Daily Caller. Next up: Sputnik.
— Ken Dilanian (@KenDilanianNBC) July 30, 2018
Pres. Trump calls on a reporter from Daily Caller, the former employer of Kaitlan Collins, who was banned from a White House event last week for her questions.
— Evan McMurry (@evanmcmurry) July 30, 2018
trump calls on daily caller, aka the modern jeff gannons, for a lifeline softball question during the press conference
— Oliver Willis (@owillis) July 30, 2018
Trump’s first question went to Tucker Carlson’s fake news, suspected white supremacist propaganda site Daily Caller. Trump is desperate
— Tariq Nasheed (@tariqnasheed) July 30, 2018
Trump, who complained of tough questioning from @JonLemire in Helsinki, goes to the Daily Caller for the first question this time.
— Tom Namako (@TomNamako) July 30, 2018
Of course he’s picking friendly outlets that won’t ask questions about the many elephants in the room.
— Brian Beutler (@brianbeutler) July 30, 2018
Those criticizing TheDC failed to explain what problem they had with Enjeti’s line of questioning and ignored the fact that Trump’s responses undoubtedly made news. His remarks about border funding and a potential government shutdown were covered by CNN, ABC News, MSNBC, and other large media outlets.
“I’ll always leave room for negotiation, but this has been many years…it’s disgraceful,” Pres. Trump says when asked if he would be willing to shut the government down if Congress does not fully fund the wall and deliver on his immigration priorities https://t.co/qVGGQ5HJ4M pic.twitter.com/nfJiTNg777
— ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) July 30, 2018
“I’ll always leave room for negotiation. But this has been many years this isn’t just the Trump administration. We’re new.” President Trump says on shutting the govt down if it does not fully fund $25 billion worth of his border wall https://t.co/VTLNMSDJzR pic.twitter.com/EePoNshXhp
— CBS Evening News (@CBSEveningNews) July 30, 2018
“I’ll always leave room for negotiation, but this has been many years…it’s disgraceful,” Pres. Trump says when asked if he would be willing to shut the government down if Congress does not fully fund the wall and deliver on his immigration priorities https://t.co/mvT66sxSaY pic.twitter.com/YMuYyVAgzH
— This Week (@ThisWeekABC) July 30, 2018
Despite President Trump repeating threat to shutdown government if $25B isn’t approved for border wall and Congress to deliver on immigration priorities, he says he “always leaves room for negotiation” https://t.co/ILVmoXBlJW pic.twitter.com/C2H5LO7OWM
— CBS News (@CBSNews) July 30, 2018
“If we don’t get border security after many, many years of talk within the United States, I would have no problem doing a shutdown,” US President Trump said during a joint news conference alongside Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte https://t.co/xYMbJ4Royy pic.twitter.com/fwFIbVvfT2
— CNN (@CNN) July 30, 2018
“I would certainly be willing to consider a shutdown” – Pres. Trump, on his request for border security
— Meet the Press (@MeetThePress) July 30, 2018