Former Trump Campaign Director Michael Caputo said on Sunday that he’s “fairly certain” he knows the identity of the Trump administration official who penned the infamous anonymous New York Times op-ed published last week.
“I’m fairly certain I know who it is,” Caputo told CNN’s Fredricka Whitfield. “I have been going through the parlor games like everybody else has. I am also completely 100 percent certain that the person who wrote this is on the list of people who said they didn’t write it.”
Caputo declined to identify the person, citing the fact that his attorney told him it was “a bad idea.” However, he said “a good place to start” would be to look at “key departments of [the] government that has been purged of all Trump supporters.”
“I don’t believe this person is in the White House,” Caputo said, but insisted the individual “has to be pretty high up. It’s gotta be a deputy secretary level or higher, otherwise the New York Times is misleading people.”
“I believe they are getting there,” he said of the possibility the White House has already identified the person. “I have my opinions. I started with this. Who is the person who I believe hates the president the most? Who is the person in the administration who has screamed about him in their own private office and gone forward and purged their entire office of Trump people? That’s where I’m looking at.” (RELATED: Lou Dobbs: ‘Worm’ Anonymous Trump Official Is A ‘Delusional, Egomaniacal, Self-Aggrandizing Jackass’)
Later in the segment, Caputo used the pronoun “she” to describe the individual.
“I think that first of all this person will never admit it because in my mind the author of this op-ed believes that she is a hero to the American people, that she in fact should be president instead of Donald Trump,” he said.