The WWE is under fire for planning a pay-per-view event in Saudi Arabia, while the country is being accused of involvement in the alleged torture and murder of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
The event in question, being marketed as “Crown Jewel,” is scheduled for Nov. 2 at the King Saud University Stadium in Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia.
The Washington Post reported last week that Khashoggi was captured and killed, in premeditated fashion, by a Saudi “murder” team. Officials from both sides of the political spectrum have called for the professional wrestling promotion company to postpone or cancel the event until further details emerge in this contentious situation.
Democratic Sen. Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut pleaded with the WWE to change its stance on the issue, given the Middle Eastern country’s “continuing pattern of abuse of civil rights and civil liberties,” TMZ reported.
“There should be a pause,” Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina told IJR regarding WWE’s business ties with Saudi Arabia. “I want a complete rethinking of our relationship.”
WWE superstar Randy Orton had a different take on the situation, however.
“I think we should go. I think the only way to help with change over there is to go and not to cancel the trip,” Orton told TMZ Sports. “The goal is to make things better everywhere and I think us not going doesn’t help. Going helps.”
The promotion claims to be monitoring the situation. But as of now, the “Crown Jewel” event remains on the schedule.