New York Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez made a peculiar claim Tuesday on Twitter when she said the media targets her personal life more than they do other politicians, but she can handle pressure well because she grew up “the only daughter in a Latino household.”
“You know, when I got to [Washington,] D.C., I was told that it’s considered ‘off-limits’ to report on a member’s family, love life, etc.,” she tweeted. “Unsure why that consideration is suspended for me. (Also for those who ask how I learned to handle pressure, try being the only daughter in a Latino household).”
You know, when I got to DC I was told that it’s considered “off-limits” to report on a member’s family, love life, etc.
Unsure why that consideration is suspended for me.
(Also for those who ask how I learned to handle pressure,try being the only daughter in a Latino household) https://t.co/M2lgHITz1B
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) March 5, 2019
The post links to an article by The Hill titled, “Ocasio-Cortez’s mom hopes she gets married soon.” The piece describes an exclusive interview The Daily Mail did with Ocasio-Cortez’s mother, Blanca, who said she hopes her daughter gets married to her boyfriend “soon.”
But do the media really go out of their way to report the personal details of Ocasio-Cortez’s life more than they go after the details of other politicians’ lives?
Targeting big names on Capitol Hill and in the White House seems to be common practice for the media. While the speed of news has increased significantly in recent years because of the general expansion of the internet and social media, the press has been deeply involved in the personal lives of politicians since the Kennedy era and the expansion of television.
And one can’t forget the very personal press targeted at the Clintons after Monica Lewinsky came forward. (RELATED: Monica Lewinsky Hints At What She Really Thinks Of Hillary Clinton’s Weekend Denial)
But to be fair to Ocasio-Cortez, we’ve compiled a list of a few headlines written since President Donald Trump took office that prove she is not the only person in Washington whom the media is interested in learning personal details about:
- “Is Susan Collins Married? Does She Have Children?” — Heavy
- “Melania Can’t Wait to Divorce Donald Trump and Punishes Him With Her Fashion Choices, Omarosa Claims” — Newsweek
- “Breaking News: Lindsey Graham Might be Gay!” — 93.1 WIBC
- “Is Sarah Huckabee Sanders Married? The New Press Secretary Has Taken On A High-Profile Role” — Bustle
- “Rosie O’Donnell apologizes to Melania Trump for autism speculation” — CBS
- “Even Barron Trump Has A Fidget Spinner Now” — Newsweek
- “Inside the Trump-endorsed marriage of Mike Pence, who calls his wife ‘mother’ and refuses to dine with other women” — Business Insider
- “Karen Pence to teach at school that bans gay students, parents, employees” — Politico
- “23 Mildly Cringey Details About Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner’s Relationship” — Cosmopolitan
- “3 things to know about Ashley Kavanaugh” — Fox News
- “Paul Ryan’s Wife & Kids: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know” — Heavy
- “Marco Rubio’s and Ted Cruz’s Wives are Both ‘Unapologetically Pro-Life'” — Washington Post
- “Inside the marriage of Washington power couple Ted and Heidi Cruz, who played Aladdin’s ‘A Whole New World’ at their wedding and spend most of their time in separate states” — Business Insider
- “‘You leave my husband alone!’ Elaine Chao, Mitch McConnell confronted over family separations” — Washington Post
- “‘Sham’ Marriage Allegations Arise Against Arizona Congressional Candidate Col. Martha McSally” — Huffington Post
- “Two Members of Congress Were Rumored to Be Having an Affair. He May Be the Next Speaker. She’s Out of a Job.” — The Daily Beast
- “The True Story Behind the Cheney Family Feud Over Gay Marriage and Cheney’s Gay Daughter” — People
- “U.S. Rep. Elise Stefanik moves to Saratoga County” — Seattle Pi
- “Mr. (Mia) Love — the man behind the congresswoman” — Desert News Utah
- “Texas congressman Will Hurd named on top 50 bachelors of 2017 in Town & Country Magazine” — ABC 13