Politics

Brett Kavanaugh Finds Law Faculty Home After Bitter Confirmation

Jabin Botsford/Getty Images

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Kevin Daley Supreme Court correspondent

Justice Brett Kavanaugh has joined the faculty of George Mason University’s Antonin Scalia Law School, where he will co-teach a summer course in the United Kingdom on the origins of the Constitution.

“It is a rare opportunity for students to learn from a Supreme Court justice and we believe that contributes to making our law program uniquely valuable for our students,” the law school said in a statement. The course will run from July 22 to August 2.

George Mason University’s student newspaper was first to report that Kavanaugh joined the law faculty.

It is common for the justices to teach law abroad during the summer, when the high court is not in session. Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Neil Gorsuch led seminars in Italy in July 2018, while retired Justice Anthony Kennedy taught in Austria.

Another round of skirmishes relating to Kavanaugh’s confirmation are likely this summer. Politico’s Anna Palmer and Jake Sherman will publish an account of Congress during President Donald Trump’s tenure in April, which purports to contain the definitive story on his confirmation. Another book called “Confirmation Bias” will follow in June from Carl Hulse of The New York Times.

Kavanaugh defenders Mollie Hemingway and Carrie Severino will publish their own book-length treatment of his nomination this summer, which is meant to preempt forthcoming projects thought to be unflattering, according to Axios. (RELATED: Supreme Court Deals Trump Administration Immigration Victory)

Ruth Marcus, The Washington Post’s deputy editorial page editor and Jackie Calmes of the Los Angeles Times are also writing books on the Kavanaugh confirmation. Kate Kelly and Robin Pogrebin of The New York Times will publish a history of the justice’s early years this October called “The Education of Brett Kavanaugh.”

Justice Brett Kavanaugh attends his ceremonial swearing at the White House on October 8, 2018. (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Once a staple of law school programming, Kavanaugh lamented that he might never return to academia, after three women publicly accused him of sexual misconduct. He denied those allegations.

“I love teaching law,” Kavanaugh told Senate Judiciary Committee Democrats during his second confirmation hearing in September 2018. “But thanks to what some of you on this side of the committee have unleashed, I may never be able to teach again.”

Just days after that hearing, Harvard Law School announced it had cancelled Kavanaugh’s January-term course on the modern Supreme Court. The announcement followed weeks of intense pressure from students and alumni, who hoped the law school would disassociate itself with the beleaguered Supreme Court nominee. Kavanaugh was named the Samuel Williston Lecturer on Law at Harvard in 2009.

Correction: A previous version of this article stated that Justice Kavanaugh would teach in the United Kingdom from July 22 to August 29. The article also stated that Kavanaugh’s course would run longer than those other justices have taught. Both the dates and the attendant claim as to comparative length were incorrect and have been updated for accuracy. The Daily Caller News Foundation regrets the errors. 

Follow Kevin on Twitter

Send tips to kevin@dailycallernewsfoundation.org

All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.