Ranking All 8 Star Wars Movies From Best To Worst
The Star Wars saga is one of the great film franchises in cinema history.
While the directors have not always succeeded in getting everything right, they did succeed in creating a whole new world that will outlive us all. But, which film hit all the right notes?
Given that Saturday is “Star Wars Day,” I decided to clear up the confusion and rank the movies from best to worst. For the sake of this list, I did not include spin-off films such as “Solo” or “Rogue One.” (RELATED: May The Fourth Be With You)
Instead this list will focus on the three trilogies that tie the main story together. (WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD)
So, without further ado, here are the most accurate rankings of the Star Wars movies:
- “A New Hope”: In most series, the first movie is usually the best, and “A New Hope” is no exception. The original Star Wars movie is one of the most revolutionary films ever made. “A New Hope” changed cinema forever, and thus deserves to occupy the top spot.
- “Empire Strikes Back”: This movie often takes the top spot in these rankings, and while I disagree, it’s still impossible to think of anything wrong with this film. It’s one of the greatest movies of all time, and it doesn’t hurt that it contains one of the most famous lines in cinematic history.
- “Return of the Jedi”: The final installment of the original trilogy is a perfect ending. America loves a redemption arc and the redemption of the trilogy’s antagonist (Darth Vader) spawned by the unconditional love from his son and the trilogy’s protagonist (Luke Skywalker) is as good an example of that as you’ll ever see on the big screen.
- “Revenge of the Sith”: A thoroughly enjoyable movie from start to finish. This film is perhaps the most action-packed of the series, and the heaviest emotionally as well. The final film of the prequel trilogy is by far its best and completes the tragic transformation of Anakin Skywalker into Darth Vader.
- “The Force Awakens”: The first film of the sequel trilogy is a solid and enjoyable movie. While it’s way too derivative of “A New Hope,” it’s still a quality film in its own right, and gives every long-time fan of the series a strong dose of nostalgia.
- “Attack of the Clones”: A much better movie than people give it credit for. While the love scenes between Anakin and Padme are pretty corny and the writing leaves a lot to be desired, this is still an enjoyable film. It’s also a necessary film to watch if you want to understand the series’ main story. “Attack of the Clones” has been much maligned, but its legacy should improve over time.
- “The Phantom Menace”: Like “Attack of the Clones,” this movie is often subject to intense criticism. While the writing and acting is subpar, the story line is very good, and the film is well-paced. “The Phantom Menace” is a fun, enjoyable movie that I believe deserves a second look form its detractors. Jar Jar Binks is terrible though.
- “The Last Jedi”: The only installment of the Star Wars saga that is truly bad. “The Last Jedi” is a politicized, sloppy film that destroys Luke Skywalker’s character arch while sticking a middle finger to its fans. It’s an irredeemable film that should be stripped from canon. (RELATED: ‘The Last Jedi’ Is Full Of Weak Male Characters And Steeped In Politically Correct Orthodoxy
So, there you have it. The most accurate ranking of Star Wars films on the internet.
May the fourth be with you!