Selena Gomez opened up about her decision to step away from social media during a speech Wednesday at the Cannes Film Festival.
The pop star took a three month break from Instagram back in September of 2018, according to a report published by Entertainment Tonight.
“I think our world is going through a lot. I would say, for my generation, specifically, social media has really been terrible,” Gomez said. “It does scare me when you see how exposed these young boys and young girls are and they’re not really aware of the news or anything going on. I think it’s dangerous for sure. I don’t think people are getting the right information sometimes.”
After Gomez’s return to Instagram in December, the singer has paid more attention to what she posts online. (RELATED: Selena Gomez Finally Opens Up About The Break She Took Last Year And Going To Therapy)
“I think it’s pretty impossible to make it safe at this point,” she continued. “I’m grateful I have the platform. I don’t do a lot of pointless pictures. For me, I like to be intentional with it,” Gomez added.
The “I Can’t Get Enough” singer also talked about how important it is to limit your time on social media.
“It just scares me. I’ll see these young girls at meet and greets. They are devastated, dealing with bullying and not being able to have their own voice,” Gomez said. “It can be great in moments. I would be careful and allow yourself some time limits of when you should use it.”