‘He’s Unarmed’: Mother Of 13-Year-Old Autistic Boy Shot By Police Says They Didn’t Heed Her Warning


Brianna Lyman News and Commentary Writer
Font Size:

The mother of 13-year-old Linden Cameron, who was shot by police multiple times Friday night in Glendale, Utah, said she told police her son was unarmed and needed medical help before the incident occurred.

Cameron, who has Asperger’s syndrome, was shot and injured after his mother Golda Barton called the police and asked for a crisis intervention team. Barton called police for help, noting Cameron was having a mental breakdown and needed to be transported to the hospital for treatment, according to KUTV.

Barton told KUTV she talked to officers about how to approach her son.

“I said, he’s unarmed, he doesn’t have anything, he just gets mad and he starts yelling and screaming. He’s a kid trying to get attention, he doesn’t know how to regulate.”

Barton said police arrived on the scene and within five minutes she heard someone say “Get down on the ground,” followed by several gunshots.

Barton said she heard one of the responding officers say, “He’s just a child, what are you doing?”

According to Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Keith Horrocks, police were called for a “violent psych issue” involving a child “having a mental episode” and allegedly “making threats to some folks with a weapon.”

Horrocks said Cameron fled police and was pursued. (RELATED: REPORT: Poll Finds Nine Out Of 10 Americans Think Police Brutality And Racism Are Problems)

“During a short foot pursuit, an officer discharged his firearm and hit the subject.” Horrocks said officers gave immediate medical attention to Cameron. He did not clarify whether a weapon was found but said he didn’t think there was any indication that there was one.

Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall called the incident a tragedy in an official statement, according to The Salt Lake Tribune.

“While the full details of this incident are yet to be released as an investigation takes place, I will say that I am thankful this young boy is alive and no one else was injured. No matter the circumstances, what happened on Friday night is a tragedy, and I expect this investigation to be handled swiftly and transparently for the sake of everyone involved.”

An investigation into the incident is ongoing. Cameron is alive and in stable condition.

The Daily Caller has reached out to Golda Barton for comment but at time of publication had not received a response.