Prince William claimed that the royal family is not “racist” while speaking with reporters Thursday for the first time since Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s tell-all interview aired.
“We are very much not a racist family,” Prince William told reporters.
Prince William says he hasn’t spoken to his brother yet but will do and they are “very much not a racist family”. pic.twitter.com/3j0AulDDOB
— Richard Palmer (@RoyalReporter) March 11, 2021
Prince William revealed he hadn’t spoken to Prince Harry since the interview aired Sunday. (RELATED: ‘Privately Devastated’: Queen Elizabeth II Reportedly Investigating Allegations Of Royal Racism Herself)
“No, I haven’t spoken to him yet, but I will do,” Prince William said.
Queen Elizabeth II is set to start asking senior royals about the allegations of racism, sources told The Sun. Prince William, Kate Middleton, Prince Charles and Harry himself will be among the senior royals questioned by Queen Elizabeth II, the outlet reported.
It’s still unclear if Queen Elizabeth II watched the interview, but she was briefed on it Monday, according to Vanity Fair. Buckingham Palace released a formal statement Tuesday on behalf of the Queen. The statement directly addressed accusations of racism made by Markle and Prince Harry.
The Duchess of Sussex claimed in the interview there had been “several conversations” with family on “concerns” about how dark Markle and Harry’s son Archie’s skin would be.
“The whole family is saddened to learn the extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan,” the statement said, according to CBS News correspondent Nancy Chen.
“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning,” the statement continued. “While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.”