REPORT: Girls Accused Of Killing Uber Eats Driver Reach Plea Deal To Not Be Held Past 21 Years Old

(Photo Credits: Screenshot/Twitter User: @JerryDunleavy via Twitter)

Andrew Jose Contributor
Font Size:

Two teenagers facing charges over a fatal carjacking involving an elderly Uber Eats driver in Washington, D.C., have come to a plea agreement with prosecutors.

Under the plea deal reached Monday, the 13- and 15-year-old girls will not be incarcerated once they are age 21 or confined in a prison facility, according to Daily Mail.

While he was working for Uber Eats in the 1200 block of Van Street, S.E. on March 25, bystander video captured the teens assaulting 66-year-old Mohammad Anwar with a taser before they took off with his vehicle in a botched carjacking attempt. Anwar was hanging off the car’s side, as previously reported(RELATED: D.C. Mayor Deletes Tweet Amid Backlash Over Death Of Mohammad Anwar)

The hijacked vehicle then hit a fence by the side of the road, trapping the elderly man between the door and the car’s frame before speeding off into the distance. The vehicle eventually flipped over, flinging Anwar onto the roadside. 

National Guard servicemen standing nearby helped the girls out of the car and detained them until cops arrived, Daily Mail reported. When police officers arrived at the scene, they found Anwar with life-threatening wounds and he was declared dead later, after arriving at a hospital.

Authorities arrested the girls in Fort Washington, Maryland. They were charged with murder and armed carjacking. (RELATED: Teenaged Girls Accused In Botched Carjacking That Led To Death Of 66-Year-Old Man)

“Mohammad Anwar was a father, a grandfather, a husband, a brother, and uncle beloved by many here in the U.S. and Pakistan,” Anwar’s family said in a statement the day of his death. “He was a hardworking immigrant who came to the U.S. in 2014 to build a better life for himself and his family. The loss for his family is immeasurable.”

Within four days of his death, a GoFundMe page set up by his family to help with funeral costs and supporting the deceased’s family crossed $500,000 in contributions.