A Texas man sued Gwyneth Paltrow’s wellness company Goop after a candle he bought allegedly exploded.
Colby Watson argued that the exploding candle could have killed him in the lawsuit, according to an article published Tuesday by TMZ. The man reportedly bought the “This Smells Like My Vagina” candle back in January. He lit the candle in February and burned it for three hours before the candle allegedly became engulfed in flames and then exploded, TMZ reported. (RELATED: Gwyneth Paltrow Drank Whiskey Every Night During Quarantine)
Gwyneth Paltrow’s Goop Sued Over Allegedly Exploding ‘Vagina’ Candles https://t.co/fjoSR9NlB2
— TMZ (@TMZ) May 18, 2021
The candle does come with a “limited warning” that tells consumers not to burn the candle for more than two hours at a time. However, Watson claimed the warning was insufficient, according to the lawsuit obtained by TMZ.
Watson is seeking damages exceeding $5 million as part of his class-action lawsuit.
Neither Goop nor Paltrow have commented publicly on the alleged candle explosion or the lawsuit.
Watson believes the candles are “inherently dangerous,” TMZ reported.
Paltrow previously revealed the inspiration behind her famed candle during an interview with Glamour magazine.
“So Douglas Little, who is the owner of Heretic Perfume, we’re very close friends and we’ve worked together a lot,” Paltrow told the outlet. “He does all of our fragrances for us, and one day we were smelling different fragrances and I was joking around and I smelled something and I said… As a joke. But then I was like, ‘Wouldn’t that be cool if somebody actually had the guts to do that?'”
“What a punk rock feminist statement to have that on your table,” Paltrow added. “And then he made it. I thought he just made me one, as a joke, but then the next thing I knew, it was on my website.”
Paltrow has since released a “This Smells Like My Orgasm” candle as well.