Around 2,100 migrant children who were separated from their family members during the Trump administration might still be apart, the Department of Homeland Security announced Tuesday.
The Biden administration’s Family Reunification Task Force found nearly 4,000 migrant children who were separated from their families from July 1, 2017, through Jan. 20, according to the report. Around 1,800 of those children were reunited with family members while the agency has no record of whether about 2,100 migrant children rejoined their families.
“The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is committed to the relentless pursuit of reunifying families who were cruelly separated by the previous Administration,” Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas said in a statement.
The DHS reunited seven families in May and plans to reunify another 29 separated families in June, according to Mayorkas. (RELATED: Biden Admin Will Reunite Its First Group Of Migrant Families Separated Under Trump)
“For too long, families have been separated under the inhumane policies set in place under the previous Administration,” Task Force Executive Director Michelle Brané said in a statement. “In the coming weeks, twenty-nine families who were separated under the previous Administration will be reunified, in addition to the seven families previously reunited in May.”
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has received around 50 reunification requests from separated migrant families, according to the DHS. Nearly 40 of the requests were reviewed, granted humanitarian parole and permitted to live and work in the U.S. for 36 months.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact email@example.com.