Firefighters Use Saws And Sledgehammers To Free Dog That Was Stuck Between Walls For 5 Days

(Screenshot/Facebook/Public — User: Cincinnati Fire Department)

Bradley Devlin General Assignment & Analysis Reporter
Font Size:

A dog in Ohio was missing for five days before firefighters with the Cincinnati Fire Department were able to free the dog from between two walls.

The dog, named Gertie, is loving and an excellent escape artist, according to owners Connie Frick and Lynn Herman, local outlet Fox 19 reported. The owners claimed that Gertie got out on the afternoon of July 13 as Herman was coming through the door, and ran right into the woods. On Sunday, a homeowner said they heard a dog crying behind their garage wall door, and called first responders, who came and had to use saws and sledgehammers to free Gertie, according to Fox 19.

Frick and Herman had found Gertie in a garage on a previous occasion when Gertie got out, but never quite like how they found their pooch Sunday, Fox 19 noted. They also claimed that Gertie would typically come back a little while after she got out. But, when Gertie failed to return, Frick and Herman began to put up posters for their missing dog around town, according to Fox 19.

Vanessa Roland, one of Frick and Herman’s neighbors, said she was able to see Gertie was stuck by peering between holes in attic floorboards, Fox 19 reported. Once they realized there was a dog trapped between the two concrete walls, another neighbor called out the fire department. (RELATED: Homeless Man Risks Life To Save Cats And Dogs From Animal Shelter After It Catches Fire)

“We were just excited. We were like, I can’t believe, cause we knew it had been a while, so we thought like this is exciting, and hopefully, she’s OK,” Roland claimed, according to Fox 19.

Roland had seen the fliers of Gertie around town and called Frick and Herman.

The firefighters had to use saws and sledgehammers to break the wall around the dog in order to get it out because they could not lift it out from between the two walls. A video posted on Facebook by the Cincinnati Fire Department showed the moment Gertie was freed. The rescue took about 10 minutes, and Gertie was shortly reunited with her owners.

“It was just so sweet, just wagging that little nub tail, and she was just so, she was so excited,” Frick told Fox 19. Frick believes Gertie got stuck after falling through the roof of Roland’s garage. “We’re just very happy and lucky and very grateful to our neighbors,” Frick added.