Piers Morgan called out President Joe Biden’s “reckless abandonment” of Afghanistan after a U.S. drone strike reportedly killed 10 family members.
“Horrific,” the former “Good Morning Britain” host tweeted Monday to his millions of followers. (RELATED: ‘Dragged’: Meghan McCain Blasts ‘Every Single Person In Biden Administration’ Over Fall Of Kabul)
“Yet more tragic casualties of President Biden’s woefully reckless abandonment of Afghanistan [and] the inevitable chaos [and] carnage that resulted from it,” he added. (RELATED: Taliban Fighters Enter Kabul After Afghan President Flees)
Horrific. Yet more tragic casualties of President Biden’s woefully reckless abandonment of Afghanistan & the inevitable chaos & carnage that resulted from it. https://t.co/oLwEjBJHTx
— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) August 30, 2021
Morgan’s tweet included a retweet of a CNN article with the headline, “Ten family members, including children, killed in US strike targeting suspected ISIS-K suicide bomber, relative says.” (RELATED: Americans Are Trapped Behind Taliban Checkpoints, Have No Clear Path To US Perimeter, According To Tom Cotton’s Office)
CNN reporting: “Nine members of one family — including six children — were killed in a US drone strike targeting a vehicle in a residential neighborhood of Kabul … The youngest killed was a 2-year-old girl” https://t.co/F2CQAWMoZY
— Alex Wickham (@alexwickham) August 30, 2021
In the piece, a brother of the one of those killed told a local journalist working with CNN, that they weren’t ISIS but an “ordinary family.”
“We are not ISIS or Daesh and this was a family home — where my brothers lived with their families,” according to the relative of the dead.
“All the neighbors tried to help and brought water to put out the fire and I saw that there were five or six people dead,” a neighbor told the outlet. “The father of the family and another young boy and there were two children. They were dead. They were in pieces. There were [also] two wounded.”
The U.S. targeted strike was against a suspected ISIS-K suicide bomber who reportedly posed an “imminent threat” to the airport, US Central Command shared, the outlet noted.
Later, the military acknowledged there had been civilian casualities in the strike.
“We know that there were substantial and powerful subsequent explosions resulting from the destruction of the vehicle, indicating a large amount of explosive material inside that may have caused additional casualties. It is unclear what may have happened, and we are investigating further,” Capt. Bill Urban, spokesman for US Central Command, said in a statement.
“We would be deeply saddened by any potential loss of innocent life,” he added.
The strike comes after a suicide bomber set off an explosion near Hamid Karzai International Airport resulting in the death of 14 U.S. service members. ISIS-K later claimed responsibility for the attack.
Biden’s deadline of Aug. 31 looms for the U.S. to withdraw from the country and evacuate American citizens.