A 13-year-old boy reportedly saved his four little sisters from a playpen that caught fire before the family dog saved him in turn.
Wisconsin resident Briar Omar reportedly got his sisters out of their house before the fire continued to spread. He then tried extinguishing the fire before the family dog Mandy pulled him out to safety, WDBJ reported Tuesday. (RELATED: Police Officer Runs Into Burning Home To Rescue Disabled Woman)
AMAZING! 🙏 A 13-year-old Wisconsin boy is being credited with saving his four younger sisters from a house fire while their parents were at the grocery store. He tried to put the fire out himself but couldn’t, his dog eventually leading him away.
— WECT News (@wectnews) September 14, 2021
The fire reportedly started 10 minutes after Omar’s parents went out to grab dinner on Monday.
“My sister said it was really smoky and we looked behind us, and the playpen was on fire,” Omar told the outlet.
Omar reportedly remembered what his family had talked discussed doing in case of emergency. He got his sisters out of the house and to safety first, then grabbed a fire extinguisher to try to put out the fire.
“It went up in bigger flames, and I just couldn’t breathe. I couldn’t see. I almost collapsed, and then, that’s when I felt my dog rub against me. I grabbed her, and she led me out the door,” Omar reportedly said.
The boy and the dog got out moments before their parents came back, WDBJ reported. The family told the outlet they were devastated from what they lost to the fire but grateful that everyone made it out OK.