Former President Donald Trump warned that “terrible things” will happen to America in his first interview since agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) raided his Mar-a-Lago home.
The former president told Fox News Digital on Monday that his representatives have reached out to the Justice Department offering cooperation regarding their request for documents stored at his home. He warned of the “dangerous times” ahead following the unprecedented raid.
“The country is in a very dangerous position. There is tremendous anger, like I’ve never seen before, over all of the scams, and this new one — years of scams and witch hunts, and now this,” Trump said. “If there is anything we can do to help, I, and my people, would certainly be willing to do that.”
“There has never been a time like this where law enforcement has been used to break into the house of a former president of the United States, and there is tremendous anger in the country — at a level that has never been seen before, other than during very perilous times,” he continued. “I think they would want the same thing — I’ve never seen anything like this. It is a very dangerous time for our country.”
He suggested that the FBI may have planted evidence in the home and reportedly told his team in Mar-a-Lago to turn off the cameras and not allow the agency to search the rooms, Fox News reported. He accused the FBI and his critics of getting away with spreading “fake witch hunts and phony Russia, Russia, Russia schemes and scams.”
He also suggested the search warrant and the FBI’s Aug. 8 raid were “another scam,” Fox News reported.
“People are so angry at what is taking place,” Trump said. “Whatever we can do to help—because the temperature has to be brought down in the country. If it isn’t, terrible things are going to happen. The people of this country are not going to stand for another scam.” (RELATED: Trump Alleges FBI Blocked Lawyers From Watching Raid, Says He Hopes FBI Wasn’t Planting Evidence)
The FBI found 11 sets of classified documents inside his private residence, including four sets of top secret documents and three sets of secret and confidential material, according to the recently released search warrant and receipt for property. Agents obtained 20 boxes of binders full of photographs, a handwritten note, an executive grant of clemency for Roger Stone, and information about the president of France.
The former president said in a Friday statement that all of the material inside Mar-a-Lago had been declassified.
“Number one, it was all declassified. Number two, they didn’t need to ‘seize’ anything,” Trump said. “They could have had it anytime they wanted without playing politics and breaking into Mar-a-Lago. It was in secured storage, with an additional lock put on as per their request.”
The search was conducted under the suspicion that three federal laws had been violated, according to Fox News. The first, 18 USC 793, criminalizes the gathering, transmitting or losing defense information. The second alleged violation revolves around the “concealment, removal or mutilation,” and the third involves a potential violation of the destruction, falsification of records in Federal investigations.
The FBI reportedly uncovered that boxes labeled A-14, A-26, A-43, A-13 and A-33 all contained material covered under attorney-client privilege, Fox News reported Saturday. This process is a legal privilege keeping communications between an attorney and their client confidential.
The Justice Department denied the possibility for a third-party review of the records after a request for clarification from Trump’s legal counsel, according to Fox News.
Trump’s attorney, Christina Bobb, told NewsNation on Friday that the legal team has fully cooperated with the Department of Justice (DOJ) in providing all records requested in a subpoena sent to his Washington D.C. counsel to release classified materials.