Utah residents have submitted hundreds of complaints to the Utah Department of Education over age-inappropriate books in schools across the state, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.
About 280 book complaints have been filed in nine of the state’s 41 school districts since May, according to the Salt Lake Tribune. In May, the state’s HB 374 became law, prohibiting books with pornographic and sensitive content, including sexual stimulation and “partially denuded figures,” in schools. (RELATED: ‘This Is Truly About The Kids’: Parents Challenging Explicit Content In Schools Respond To ‘Book Banners’ Label)
“I read a lot in the press that we’re banning books or we’re burning books,” Republican state Sen. John Johnson told the outlet. “But I really feel strongly that we have an obligation to protect the innocence of children.”
Of the books reported, 84 have been removed entirely from schools, while 63 can be read if children obtain parental permission, the Salt Lake Tribune reported. Parents made up 83% of the complaints and educators made up the other 17% of the complaints.
Several books still remain under review by the Utah Board of Education while 122 books that had complaints filed against them were left in the school districts, the Salt Lake Tribune reported.
In August, Utah’s largest school district, Alpine School District, removed 52 books from its library for alleged inappropriate content with plans to inspect another 32. Books removed included “Gender Queer” a graphic memoir exploring what it means to be “nonbinary and asexual” and “All Boys Aren’t Blue” a memoir of a black queer boy.
The Utah Board of Education did not immediately respond to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for comment.
All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact email@example.com.