Jay Leno spoke to reporters from his hospital bed and described his near-death experience which left him with burns so severe they may require skin grafts.
Leno said he was working on his 1907 White Steam Car at his Burbank garage on Saturday when things took a very dangerous turn. He was reportedly fixing a clogged fuel line when gasoline suddenly spurted onto his face and hands, according to TMZ. Just as this situation was unfolding, a spark ignited the gasoline, setting the car enthusiast on fire.
The third degree burns will require surgical intervention, but Leno is remaining positive and is crediting his good friend Dave for jumping on him and smothering the flames, the outlet reported. (RELATED: Video Shows Passenger Clobbering Flight Attendant In The Back Of The Head)
Jay Leno could have died in the fire that erupted in his Burbank garage — it was that serious — and we’ve learned it was a friend of his who may have saved his life. https://t.co/3QIMWYqyDG
— TMZ (@TMZ) November 15, 2022
The right side of Leno’s face was severely burned, as were his hands. The 72-year-old former “Tonight Show” host said he is dealing with third-degree burns so severe they may require skin grafts. Leno, who expressed relief that he did not suffer any damage to his eyes or ears, faces a long road to recovery and continues to be hospitalized at this time, according to TMZ.
His engagements have been canceled for at least the next two weeks as Leno continues to recover.