British IT Exec Dies Of Fentanyl Poisoning At Disney World: Report

Editorial credit: VIAVAL TOURS /

Kay Smythe News and Commentary Writer
Font Size:

A British technology executive died of fentanyl poisoning while on vacation at Disney World in May, according to a report from The Times.

Middle East Director of Excis Compliance Ltd. Philip Weybourne, 40, died on the third day of his family vacation in Florida, according to The Times. Weybourne had spent the day with his wife and son before going to a local bar on his own, where he collapsed and was subsequently transferred to a local hospital, the outlet reported.

Weybourne fell ill about two hours after going into the bar at Disney’s Yacht Club hotel, The Times continued. Someone then came to his room to tell his family he’d been taken to the hospital. Weybourne died before his wife could make it to the hospital, according to the outlet.

The executive allegedly had no underlying health conditions. A post-mortem on his remains uncovered fatal levels of the synthetic opioid, fentanyl, in his system, The Times reported. (RELATED: ‘Scum Of The Earth’: Victims Slam Sackler Family And Purdue Pharma)

Fentanyl was initially developed as a medicinal pain-relief drug, but is now predominantly trafficked into the U.S. through the open southern border by drug cartels, who acquire their supplies largely from Chinese manufacturers.

More than 70,000 Americans are estimated to have died in 2021 from either purposefully consuming the drug and overdosing, or through ingesting it without knowledge. It is often mixed into other drugs without the user’s knowledge to increase potency, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration.