Minnesota Vikings Rookie Khyree Jackson Dies In Maryland Car Accident

(Photo by Ian Maule/Getty Images)

Jeff Charles Contributor
Font Size:

Minnesota Vikings rookie Khyree Jackson, 24, was killed in a Saturday morning car crash in Maryland, according to Maryland State Police.

The accident reportedly occurred just after 3 a.m. in Upper Marlboro. Three cars were involved in the crash; one of the drivers attempted to change lines while traveling at high speed and slammed into the NFL player’s car, as well as another car, according to the authorities.

The collision is believed to have caused Jackson’s car to veer off the road before striking several tree stumps, according to the police statement. (RELATED: Former NFL Lineman Korey Cunningham Found Dead At 28)

Two passengers in Jackson’s car, Isaiah Hazel, 23, and Anthony Lytton, Jr., 24, were also killed in the crash; the drivers in the other vehicles were unharmed, according to the police statement. Authorities indicated alcohol could have played a role in the accident, according to the police statement.

“I am heartbroken by the loss of Khyree,” said Minnesota Vikings General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah. “As we got to know him throughout the pre-draft process, it was clear the goals Khyree wanted to accomplish both professionally and personally. His story was one of resilience.”

In a statement, Vikings coach Kevin O’Connell said he is “absolutely crushed by this news” and praised Jackson, saying he “brought a contagious energy to our facility and our team.”

“His confidence and engaging personality immediately drew his teammates to him. In our short time together, it was evident Khyree was going to develop into a tremendous professional football player,” O’Connell added.

Jackson was a native of Upper Marlboro and played for the University of Alabama and the University of Oregon, the outlet reported. The Vikings drafted him April 27, 2024 in round 4 as the 108th overall pick, CBS News reported.

Jackson previously quit football and became a Chipotle employee before slicing deli meats at Harris Teeter and being honored as the grocery store’s manager of the month, according to The New York Times. A coach at Kansas’s Fort Scott Community College later unexpectedly called Jackson and helped bring Jackson’s postponed football dream a reality, according to the outlet.