The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is cheering the impending return to America of a Muslim teen who was detained in Kuwait for being on the “no fly list.”
The nineteen-year-old Virginian, Gulet Mohamed, will arrive at Washington Dulles International Airport on Friday, after being held in Kuwait for nearly a month.
CAIR filed a lawsuit in federal court against the government — specifically Attorney General Eric Holder, FBI Director Robert Mueller, Terrorist Screening Center Director Timothy Healy and their agencies — on Tuesday for Mohamed’s apparent detention.
The suit charged that Mohamed had been beaten while in custody and that his placement on the “no fly list” violated his 14th Amendment rights.
At a hearing Thursday, the government lawyer announced Mohamed’s release and expected arrival date.
Though getting their desired result, CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad said the government still needs to look into the constitutionality of the “no fly list.”
“We welcome the apparent resolution of this one no-fly list case, but our government must address the broader issue of American citizens being denied the constitutional right to return to the United States,” said Awad.