Jon Corzine lawyers up with a big name
Before announcing his resignation from MF Global this morning, Jon Corzine retained legal counsel from Andrew Levander, a partner at leading Wall Street law firm Dechert.
The move comes as the FBI and other regulatory authorities investigate criminal wrong doing by the former governor of New Jersey and Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO. Corzine has not been charged for a crime, but is seeking advice as the maelstrom around him swirls.
Levander’s client list includes the who’s who of Wall Street:
- AIG, Bank of NY, Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, the NYSE, UBS and Universal American Corp.
- Advice to company officers include Biovail Corp., Datascope Corporation, GlaxoSmithKline, Monster Worldwide, Motorola, OSI Pharmaceuticals and Symbol Technology.
Dechert has advised on deals totaling $63 billion year-to-date, including the $34 billion purchase of Medco Health by Express Scripts, ranking it among the top 20 law firms involved in mergers and acquisitions in 2011, according to data from Bloomberg.
Mr. Corzine has also hired Alan Smith and Scuyler Carroll to advise him during Chapter 11 proceedings.
- MF Global’s CFO Was One Of The Youngest C-Level Execs On Wall Street
- You’ll Never Guess What Jon Corzine Did The Night Before MF Global’s Disastrous Earnings
- Jon Corzine Resigns From MF Global, Not Taking Monster Severance, And He’s Hired Past Lehman Lawyer Levander