Josh Duggar, who a magazine revealed this week was accused as a teenager of sexually molesting several girls, has resigned his position at the Family Research Council in Washington D.C.
“Today Josh Duggar made the decision to resign his position as a result of previously unknown information becoming public concerning events that occurred during his teenage years,” Family Research Council President Tony Perkins said in a statement provided to The Daily Caller.
The 27-year old is one of the Duggar siblings featured in TLC’s show “19 Kids and Counting.” He has been working as a lobbyist for the Family Research Council.
On Thursday, the magazine In Touch Weekly reported on a 2006 police report detailing multiple allegations of sexual misconduct against Duggar, including when he was 14 years old.
“Josh believes that the situation will make it difficult for him to be effective in his current work,” Perkins said. “We believe this is the best decision for Josh and his family at this time. We will be praying for everyone involved.”
Duggar, who is married with children, is politically active, often tweeting photos with Republicans, including most recently Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.
— Josh Duggar (@joshduggar) May 19, 2015
— Josh Duggar (@joshduggar) May 16, 2015
Duggar released a statement Thursday evening to People magazine.
“Twelve years ago, as a young teenager, I acted inexcusably for which I am extremely sorry and deeply regret. I hurt others, including my family and close friends,” Duggar said. “I confessed this to my parents who took several steps to help me address the situation. We spoke with the authorities where I confessed my wrongdoing, and my parents arranged for me and those affected by my actions to receive counseling. I understood that if I continued down this wrong road that I would end up ruining my life.”