It’s not uncommon for hunting dogs to have clever names relating to hunting. But for one unlucky canine named Trigger, the moniker became too real when the dog accidentally shot its owner on Saturday.
Indiana resident Allie Carter, 25, made the mistake of laying down her loaded 12-gauge shotgun with the safety off during a waterfowl hunt, according to the Associated Press. Her dog, a chocolate lab named Trigger, stepped into the trigger guard, hit the trigger, and shot Carter in the foot.
The gun fired at point blank range, but Carter is expected to survive the blast after receiving treatment at two different hospitals. (RELATED: Training Your Hunting Dog From An Amateur’s Perspective)
Indiana Conservation Officers are now using Carter’s misfortune with Trigger as an example of the importance of practicing gun safety, according to The Indianapolis Star. The law enforcement outlet is urging gun owners to always use the safety feature on guns — especially when a dog could accidentally fire the weapon.