House Dems Plan Gun Control ‘Twitterstorm’
House Democrats are storming Twitter Wednesday in an effort to force GOP leadership to call a vote on gun control legislation.
The proposed action follows a 25-hour sit-in on the House floor in protest of Republicans opting not to bring a bill to the floor barring individuals on the federal no-fly list from purchasing guns – legislation critics feel undermines the right to due process.
Democratic members are being encouraged to partake in a “twitterstorm” at 12:30 p.m. The goal is to get House Speaker Paul Ryan to act on a bill that failed in the House Committee on Appropriations and Senate earlier this year, according to an email obtained by The Daily Caller News Foundation.
Sample tweets listed in the email include:
• 272 mass shootings this year. When will @SpeakerRyan give us a vote? #NoFlyNoBuy #CloseTheLoophole #GunVote
• Thousands killed w/ guns over reckless Republican recess. When will @SpeakerRyan give us a vote? #NoFlyNoBuy #CloseTheLoophole #GunVote
• I stand with @HouseGVP in demanding a vote on gun violence prevention legislation #NoFlyNoBuy #CloseTheLoophole #GunVote
• If person can’t fly, they shouldn’t be able to get a gun. @SpeakerRyan: give us a vote #NoFlyNoBuy #GunVote
• .@PewResearch: 85% of people support closing gun show loophole. @SpeakerRyan give us a vote #CloseTheLoophole #GunVote
• Retweet if you stand with @HouseGVP call for @SpeakerRyan to allow a vote to close background check loophole #GunVote
• American people want Congress to #DoYourJob. End gun violence in our community. Give us a vote. #NoFlyNoBuy #CloseTheLoophole #GunVote
• Enough moments of silence. We need moments of action. @SpeakerRyan: give us a vote #NoFlyNoBuy #CloseTheLoophole #GunVote
Lawmakers were also given the early option to participate in floor speeches on the issue as part of the party’s Gun Violence Prevention Day of Action.
“During the debate on the rule, Members will line the aisle and ask unanimous consent (script available on the Floor). Photos of victims will be provided by Rep. Speier,” the email reads.
The plan is a sharp contrast from Democrats’ last demonstration, led by Rep. John Lewis, which broke a number of House rules, including live streaming the event on their cellphones and fundraising off the protest.
After an extensive investigation, GOP leadership is expected to announce the repercussions for the acts of misconduct in coming weeks.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact email@example.com.