For the second time in five months, a deadly redback spider has bitten a Sydney, Australia construction worker in “pretty much the same spot” on his penis.
The impressively unlucky 21-year-old man, known to the world only as Jordan, suffered the most recent bite on Tuesday at a Sydney building site, reports News Corp Australia.
The previous redback spider bite occurred back in April, almost exactly five months ago.
Both bites occurred when Jordan was using a port-a-potty.
Jordan said he had avoided using port-a-potties since his first spider-bite experience. The Tuesday encounter with the spider was, in fact, “the first time” he had used one again.
“Toilets got cleaned that day and I thought it was my opportunity to go use one,” Jordan told BBC News. “Had a look under both seats and then I sat down did my business. Next thing you know, I’m bent over in pain.”
The portable toilet “had this little crevasse underneath the actual bowl so I couldn’t lift it up to check,” Jordan also said, according to News Corp Australia. “I thought I was safe and, then, obviously not.”
Jordan said he felt the same sting he “felt the first time.”
“I was like ‘I can’t believe it’s happened again.’ I looked down and I’ve seen a few little legs come from around the rim.”
After Tuesday’s sting, a fellow worker transported Jordan to a nearby hospital for treatment.
He said he got a good ribbing from his colleagues as he was getting in the car.
The pain of the latest spider bite was actually worse the second time around, the tough-luck tradesman estimated.
“It seems like it got a better shot at it this time,” Jordan explained, according to News Corp Australia. “It’s redder — a bit more swollen. It hurts a bit more. I got tetanus and antivenom yesterday.”
The redback spider, a close relation to the legendary black widow spider, gets its name because females have conspicuous red stripes on their upper abdomens.
Bites can cause substantial pain, vomiting and other symptoms. Deaths from redback spider bites have been recorded, notes BBC News. However, no one has died since the development of an antivenom in 1956.
Jordan said he is unlikely to utilize work-site port-a-potties in the near future.