World

Mother Of ISIS Teen Failed To Alert Police Of His Beheading Plot

REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Russ Read Pentagon/Foreign Policy Reporter
Font Size:

The mother of a teenage Islamic State follower failed to alert police of a planned beheading attack after the boy allegedly warned her of his plot, according to Australian court documents.

The boy and another 16-year-old accomplice were caught by police shortly after purchasing two M9 combat knives, which they were allegedly going to use to behead victims in the name of ISIS.

“When they come, I am going to do something to them that they have never seen before,” the boy allegedly told his mother. “I am going to do something bigger.”

A source within Australian police told The Daily Telegraph that the mother failed to alert the police of her son’s intentions to carry out the foiled beheading plot.

New South Wales (NSW) Police believe the boy was inspired by last year’s murder of Curtis Cheng, an NSW police finance worker. Cheng was shot and killed by Khalil Mohammad Jabar, a 15-year-old who is believed to have been radicalized by Hizb ut-Tahrir, a radical Islamic group.

NSW police captured the boys shortly after they purchased the two knives at a gun shop in Bankstown, Australia.

Before they were caught, they proceeded down the road to an Islamic prayer room in order to perform their last prayers before the attack. Police apprehended the two boys inside the prayer room’s bathroom where they were supposedly engaging in a purification ritual before prayer.

“Even though it was very rapid from the time we needed to act, we had been undertaking activities prior,” acting NSW Police Commissioner Cath Burn told reporters during a press conference Thursday.

The boy’s family has a history of extremism. His mother is married to a convicted terrorist, while her son is known to have participated in a 2012 protest where he was seen holding a son calling for the beheading of anyone who insults the prophet Muhammad.

The apprehension of the boy and his accomplice represents the 11th extremist attack in Australia since September 2014.

Follow Russ Read on Twitter

Send tips to russ@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.