Emergency workers pulled the last known earthquake victim’s body out of rubble Wednesday, following the devastating upheaval that shook Mexico City and the surrounding area Sept. 19.
The victim’s body was located 15 days after the earthquake under a collapse of a 7-story office building in Mexico City, Yahoo News reported. Twenty-eight people were previously rescued alive from the same building.
“Based on lists provided by family members and witness accounts from people who worked [in the buildings that collapsed], as well as the testimony of friends and others, we no longer expect to find anyone else,” Mexico City Mayor Angel Mancera said, according to CBS News.
“The search and rescue effort is over,” Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto said previously at a televised cabinet meeting. “Now we’re moving on to rebuilding.”
The aftermath of the 7.1 magnitude earthquake, which caused 369 deaths, will cost an estimated $2 million USD in repairs.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.