House Oversight Chairman Trey Gowdy knocked the White House on Wednesday for allowing Rob Porter to remain employed for nearly a year.
Two of Porter’s ex-wives accused him of domestic abuse last week, leading to Porter’s resignation. However, questions have arisen over how long the White House knew about the allegations and if he should have been cut from staff much sooner. (RELATED: FBI Director Blows A Gaping Hole In The White House’s Rob Porter Story)
Gowdy said he is “troubled” by Porter’s employment “on two levels.”
“One’s the interim security clearance issue, but even more importantly, I spent two decades believing women and children who alleged abuse — sometimes when no one else did — so whether or not there’s a security clearance at issue or not, I have real questions about how someone like this could be considered for employment.”
“I am troubled by almost every aspect of this,” he continued.
“Who knew what when and to what extent — those are the questions I think ought to be asked,” he said. “How do you have any job if you have credible allegations of domestic abuse? Again, I am biased toward the victim, I spent two decades believing them, but you don’t have to be biased toward the victim to ask, ‘how the hell did this happen?'”