WASHINGTON — Louisiana law enforcement officers have responded to more than 106 school threats and have arrested 62 people in the last four weeks since the deadly shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, the FBI New Orleans said Tuesday.
The bureau’s office in New Orleans said that “first responders addressed all reports with the utmost sense of urgency.”
The majority were described as juveniles, some as young as 11 years old. The oldest was 28. Many of those charged under Louisiana law could land up to 15 years in prison, a $15,000 fine, or both. Any individual who used social media to deliver a threat could also face federal charges.
“These threats have impacted a significant number of schools in Louisiana, requiring law enforcement agencies to respond and investigate these potential threats,” the New Orleans FBI Office said.
The arrests come in the wake of reports that the FBI missed multiple tips on accused Stoneman Douglas High School Shooter Nikolas Cruz prior his shooting rampage last month that resulted in the deaths of 17 students and faculty.
The Senate Judiciary Committee is expected to hear testimony Wednesday from witnesses who will discuss red flags raised about Cruz that were missed before the Parkland shooting, among other school safety issues.