Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Throws His Support To NFL Anthem Protestors
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson threw his support to national anthem protestors in the National Football League, in an interview published Wednesday in Rolling Stone magazine.
The 45-year-old action hero said he “would either have knelt or raised my fist in solidarity” when asked about the divide between President Donald Trump and the NFL players who knelt during the singing of the “Star Spangled Banner.”
“I felt like our president’s responses were being dictated by the noise, and not the actual problem,” he added, calling the protests a “cry for help.” “‘As one human being to another, we’re having this issue that’s affecting our country and our little kids, and I need your help.’ And I think when human beings are in jeopardy, and they ask for help, good-quality human beings, whether locally or at the highest level of office, they help.”
Earlier in the interview, Johnson also talked about the gun control “March For Our Lives” event that was sparked following the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 people killed. “The Rock’s” daughter goes to school a half hour from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and he said she’s still reeling from the incident. But admits he doesn’t know what should be done.
“You gotta do something, right?” Johnson explained. “I don’t think giving teachers guns is the answer, because then we’re just bringing more guns into school. I don’t know, man. I don’t have the answers. But we’ve gotta keep our kids safe.”