US

#MeToo Founder Says Not To Discredit The Movement Following Sexual Assault Allegations Against Asia Argento

(Photo by Foc Kan/FilmMagic)

Daily Caller News Foundation logo

The founder of #MeToo said not to discredit the movement Monday following sexual assault allegations against Italian actress Asia Argento.

Tarana Burke, the leader of #MeToo, said to not let people discredit the movement despite Argento being accused Sunday of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old boy in 2013, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Argento became a strong advocate of the #MeToo movement after claiming that disgraced producer Harvey Weinstein raped her in 1997, The New Yorker reported.

“People will use these recent news stories to try and discredit this movement – don’t let that happen. This is what Movement is about,” Burke wrote on Twitter. (RELATED: #MeToo Leader Allegedly Paid Off A Man She Sexually Assaulted)

Burke also noted that the #MeToo movement is for everyone and praised the “brave young men who are now coming forward,” in a Twitter post.

Argento allegedly sexually assaulted her former costar Jimmy Bennett, then 17, in a hotel room in 2013. The #MeToo activist then paid Bennett $380,000 to stay mum about the alleged incident. She previously played Bennett’s mother in the 2004 film “The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things,” The New York Times reported.

Follow Gabrielle on Twitter

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.