At least 17 House Democrats were arrested Tuesday afternoon outside the Supreme Court.
The Democrats were attending an abortion rights rally to protest the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade. In several videos posted on Twitter, Democratic New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Democratic Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar can be seen with their hands behind their back being held by police officers who appear to be escorting them away from the protest in front of the Supreme Court.
“Today, Rep. AOC was arrested along with other members of Congress outside the Supreme Court for protesting in support of abortion rights,” Ocasio-Cortez’s office tweeted from her account. (RELATED: Ocasio-Cortez, Members Of ‘The Squad’ Appear To Have Been Arrested In Front Of Supreme Court)
— Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@RepAOC) July 19, 2022
HERE ARE THE NAMES:
- New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar
- Missouri Rep. Cori Bush
- Massachusets Rep. Ayanna Pressley
- Massachusets Rep. Katherine Clark
- New York Rep. Nydia Velazquez
- California Rep. Barbara Lee
- California Rep. Jackie Speier
- California Rep. Sara Jacobs
- Michigan Rep. Rashida Tlaib
- North Carolina Rep. Alma Adams
- Pennsylvania Rep. Madeleine Dean
- New Jersey Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman
- Texas Rep. Veronica Escobar
- Illinois Rep. Jan Schakowsky
- New York Rep. Carolyn Maloney
- Michigan Rep. Andy Levin
Democratic Missouri Rep. Cori Bush tweeted Tuesday that she and her colleagues “put” their “bodies on the line” amid the protest. (RELATED: ‘There Must Be Consequences’: Rep. Ocasio-Cortez Suggests SCOTUS Justices Should Be Impeached)
“I introduced legislation yesterday and today to protect reproductive freedom. Today my colleagues and I put our bodies on the line—because we will leave no stone unturned in our fight for justice. Bans off our bodies,” Bush said.
I introduced legislation yesterday and today to protect reproductive freedom. Today my colleagues and I put our bodies on the line—because we will leave no stone unturned in our fight for justice.
Bans off our bodies. https://t.co/ahmWgAd9WR
— Cori Bush (@CoriBush) July 19, 2022
The Daily Caller contacted the U.S. Capitol Police about the videos to which Capitol Police said they would be releasing final arrest numbers later in the afternoon.