Sen. [crscore]Marco Rubio[/crscore] nixed the idea of the U.S. taking more refugees in from Syria because of the inability to conduct thorough background checks.
Appearing on ABC’s “This Week” on Sunday with George Stephanopoulos, Rubio also argued that the extremest threat isn’t just from abroad, “What we need to open up to and realize is that we have a threat here at home — home-grown violent extremists” who were radicalized online. (RELATED: Rubio: Clinton Not Saying ‘Radical Islam’ Is Like Not Saying We Were At War With The Nazis [VIDEO])
Regarding refugees coming into America from Syria, Rubio said, “The problem is not the background checks. The problem is we can’t background check them. You can’t pick up the phone and call Syria. And that’s one of the reasons why I said we won’t be able to take more refugees. It’s not that we don’t want to, it’s that we can’t. Because there’s no way to background check someone that’s coming from Syria. Who do you call and do a background check on them?”
“The bottom line is that this is not just a threat coming from abroad,” Rubio explained. “What we need to open up to and realize is that we have a threat here at home — home-grown violent extremists. Individuals who perhaps have not even traveled abroad, who had been radicalized online. This has become a multi-faceted threat.”
“In the case of what’s happening in Europe, this is a swarm of refugees, and as I’ve said repeatedly over the last few months, you can have 1,000 people come in, and 999 of them are just poor people fleeing oppression and violence, but one of them is an ISIS fighter. If that’s the case, you have a problem, and there is no way to vet that out. There is no background check system in the world that allows us to find that out, because who do you call in Syria to background check them?”