Prince Died From Opioid Overdose, Law Enforcement Reveals

(Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

Kaitlan Collins White House Correspondent

Prince died from an opioid overdose, a law enforcement official revealed on the condition of anonymity Thursday.

(Photo: Reuters)

(Photo: Reuters)

The 57-year-old singer was found dead in an elevator at his Minnesota home April 21.

Earlier that month, Prince — whose full name is Prince Rogers Nelson — was forced to make an emergency landing in Illinois on his flight home from Atlanta after he fell ill. He was transported to a local hospital by ambulance and released three hours later. (RELATED: What Prince’s Lawyer Just Said About His Lifestyle Changes EVERYTHING)

He had reportedly been suffering from the flu, but several reports disputed that and said he was actually treated for a drug overdose.